The Microsoft Windows Start menu is the hub of all of your computer programs, settings, contacts, and lots more. It provides shortcuts for accessing several frequently used features of Windows, such as desktop, popular apps, file explorer, etc.
However, if you’re not completely satisfied with the latest Windows 10 Start menu, the great news is there are plenty of best free start menu replacements available in the marketplace.
To help you decide which is best-suited for you, we’ve rounded up a bunch of best Start Menu replacement applications that work with all Microsoft Windows editions.
What Are the Best Free Start Menu Replacements in 2020?
If you’ve no longer desire to use the default Start Menu button, check out our curated list of Windows Start Menu alternatives and get the one that fits best for your needs.
1. Classic Shell (Free)
Classic Shell from Ivo Beltchev, is undoubtedly one of the best free start menu replacements for Windows 8 users. Every Windows 8 user must have heard the name of this globally renowned program. Despite being a free software, it offers a host of powerful features that lets you enhance the usability of your Windows operating system in the best possible way.
Notable Features of Classic Shell:
- Customizable Windows start menu with three different styles: Classic, Two Columns and Windows 7
- It lets you easily organize all of your programs using drag and drop feature
- It provides quick access to favorites, recently used documents, and has options to expand the Control Panel.
- The interface of the tool is available in over 40 languages, including Arabic and Hebrew
Classic Shell is a solid tool overall, especially for users who are still in love with the old Windows 7 style start menu button.
2. Start Menu 8 ($7.99 a year/3PCs for Pro version)
Many users might think that Start Menu 8 works only with the Windows 8 PCs but don’t be fooled by its name.
Developed by IObit, it supports Windows 10 computers too, and currently recognized as one of the world’s best free Windows Start Menu available in the industry.
Notable Features of IObit Start Menu 8:
- It lets you bring back the old Win 7 Start button
- Quick and accurate file search results
- It lets you switch between classic and latest Windows start icons
3. Start10 ($4.99 a year with 30-day Free trial)
If you’re looking for Windows Start menu alternatives, you can’t ignore this beautifully designed, customizable tool. Stardock’s Start 10 allows users to replace Windows 10 start button with a cleaner and personalized icon.
Notable Features of Start 10:
- Start menu search filters
- It offers quick and easy access to desktop applications
- Allows users to personalize their PCs using custom images and textures
- Multilingual support
4. Power8 (Free)
The next Start Menu replacement app on our list is called Power8. It offers a wide array of interesting features that allows users to change the look and feel of Windows desktop in just a matter of seconds.
It has a clutter-free, user friendly interface that’s slightly faster than other Windows 8 Start Menu alternatives on this list.
Notable Features of Power8:
- It supports all popular Windows editions, including Windows 10, 8.1 and 8
- Users can quickly access their favorite applications and pin items
- It lets you customize the design of Start Menu as per the Windows 98 style icons
- Users can search the web using a search engine of your choice
5. Start Menu Reviver (Free)
There’s no way you can talk about the best Start Menu replacement applications without mentioning the famous name of Start Menu Reviver. A product of RiviverSoft, this popular app focuses on combining the traditional Start menus with the new modern designs.
Notable Features of Start Menu Reviver:
- Incredibly designed Start menu with unique tile options
- Allows you to create your own tiles for various programs, files, etc.
- A touch-friendly user interface with a variety of re-sizing options
- Advanced file search options
6. StartIsback ($3.99 for 1 PC and $9.99 for 3 PCs)
One of the most excellent options for windows 10 start menu replacement for 2020 is StartIsback. It offers various glyph icons and round user avatars to give you enhanced desktop experience.
Notable Features of StartIsback:
- It lets you quickly launch frequently used programs
- Quickly shut down or power off your Windows 10 computer
- You can create shortcuts, change skin, appearance, and more
- It is a lightweight application and require less system resources
Read More: How to Upgrade Windows 10 for Free
If you’re looking for a program that can reduce useless items in your Windows start menu, then you should give Handy Start Menu a try. What’s great about this program compared to its competitors is that it eliminates a massive list of items from your start menu and makes it easy to find and launch needed applications.
Notable Features of Handy Start Menu:
- It lets you bring the classic start menu of windows 8
- You can customize the list of programs in your start menu
- Clean and elegant Windows desktop
- Launch applications faster than ever before
Concluding Words: Start Menu Replacements/Alternatives
Our aforementioned list contains some of the best Start Menu replacement applications that are currently available in the market.
So, if you’re not completely happy with the default Start Menu of Windows 10, you can easily change the look and feel of your desktop computer using any of these Windows start menu alternatives.
So, this was all folks! Let us know your picks and share your feedback regarding this guide in the comments section below!