Why do you need the best driver updater software for your Windows PC? A driver or device driver is an essential piece of software that each device or hardware component needs in order to perform specific functions. However, when drivers are corrupted, outdated, or missing, your computer may become unstable, or some of the devices like printer, keyboard, or other external devices may completely stop working.
Therefore, it is essential to keep all your system drivers up to date for the smooth functioning of a computer. However, if you don’t know how to update Windows drivers, don’t panic just yet. The easiest solution to fix & update drivers is to get the best free driver updater software for your Windows.
We at TechPout have tested and compared some of the most prominent driver updater tools on a fresh Windows machine to come up with the definitive solution for your system. The main focus of this comparative analysis is to identify which driver updater has the largest driver database that can detect the most numbers of outdated or corrupt drivers present on your system.
Comparative Analysis (Top 10 Driver Update Software)
|Driver Updater||Bit Driver Updater||ITL Driver Updater||Driver Magic||Ashampoo Driver Updater||Device Doctor||Driver Easy||Driver Genius||Driver Booster||AVG Driver Updater||DRIVERfighter|
|No. of Outdated Drivers Found||6||6||6||5||3||3||2||2||1||1|
Read more about these driver updaters and get to know the perfect one for you in the list below!
Our 3 Top Choices
|Bit Driver Updater
|ITL Driver Updater
List of Top 21 Best Free Driver Updater Software For Windows in 2020:
To make your search a little bit easier, we’ve compiled a well-researched list of best free driver updaters, so you get the latest manufacturer-recommended drivers and most up-to-date features every time. Let’s jump right in!
1. Bit Driver Updater (Free)
Bit Driver Updater is at the top of the charts when it comes to improving the performance, hardware functioning, and stability of your computer.
Once installed, the application performs a complete system scan to detect defective drivers and then downloads and installs the latest ones to enhance the working of your system.
Apart from optimizing system drivers, it also takes a backup of all the existing device drivers for easy restoration.
This multi-function utility brings together the most powerful features that are incomparable to any other free driver updater software available in the market.
Why Choose Bit Driver Updater?
Most Compatible Utility: It fully supports Windows 10, 8.1, 8 & 7.
Fast & Accurate Scanning: Its automatic PC scanning process efficiently identifies out-of-date or defective drivers.
One-Click Driver Update: After scanning, it installs the latest, genuine drivers in one-click.
Up-to-date, Extensive Driver Database: It contains thousands of official driver updates to fix any kind of hardware compatibility problems.
Complete Driver Backups: It takes a complete backup of all existing Windows drivers to help you restore unwanted changes.
Optimized Windows Performance: It takes care of all driver-related issues and gives you the supercharged PC performance, always.
Smart System Optimizer: It improves the stability and hardware-functioning of your PC to help you keep it in the best possible state.
If you don’t want to lose a huge chunk money every time your PC shows a driver-related error, then it’s the best time to install this free driver updater. To update drivers for free, click on the button below!
- Easy-to-use application with simple interface
- One-click driver update functionality
- Supercharged Windows performance
- Installs only genuine drivers to resolve hardware compatibility problems
- Complete driver backup and restore options
- 24*7 Customer Support
- Not compatible with Windows XP and Vista.
2. ITL Driver Updater (Free)
ITL Driver Updater with its beautifully designed user-interface and colossal features ranks among the top free driver updaters for Windows. The tool automatically scans and updates your outdated or broken drivers to help fix errors and potential device conflicts that are leading to computer freezing and crashing problems.
Why Install ITL Driver Updater?
From automatic scans and one-click updates to keeping backups, ITL Driver Updater is perfectly designed and programmed. Let’s have a quick glance at some of its powerful features:
Auto-Scanning: It automatically scans your whole system for outdated, missing or broken drivers.
One-Click Driver Updates: Update all your old and broken drivers to the latest compatible ones with a single click.
Backup & Restore: Backup all your existing drivers so you can always restore the older version if you don’t like the updated ones.
200% Larger Driver Database: Checks and updates more than 160,000+ official device drivers from over hundreds of major brands.
Faster Download Speed: ITL Driver Updater speeds up downloads by 300%, so you get the latest driver updates within a few seconds.
Top-Notch PC Performance: Enjoy enhanced system performance and stability with the latest hardware drivers on your system.
Exclusion List: Driver Exclusion list to help you leave out specific device drivers from being scanned or updated.
Highly-Compatible: It supports all the recent versions of Microsoft Windows.
With seamless performance and latest official driver updates, ITL Driver Updater is the greatest solution for both professionals and beginners who are seeking to manage all missing or faulty drivers effortlessly. To get this amazing driver updater tool for free, click the button below!
- 200% larger driver database
- Downloads WHQL certified official drivers within a few seconds
- One-click driver updates
- Driver backup & restore options
- Fast and easy-to-use interface
- Supports more than 11 languages
- 24*7 technical support
- Doesn’t support older Windows editions like XP and Vista
3. Driver Magic (Free)
Driver Magic with its very high rating and consistent performance has gained huge popularity across a wide spectrum of Windows users. It is undoubtedly one of the best free driver updater for Windows 10 and other popular editions of Microsoft Windows; from extremely user-friendly interface and official driver updates to complete web protection, this easy-to-use program has everything that you don’t want to miss on.
Why Choose Driver Magic?
Driver Magic is packed with many powerful PC optimization tools and the latest functionalities to help you install the latest drivers and boost PC performance. Let’s have a quick look at its rich features:
Smart Driver Updater: Scan & update all your outdated or corrupt drivers through its remarkable 200000+ driver database to fix hardware problems and enhance overall PC performance.
Official Drivers: Get all the latest manufacturer-recommended drivers through a single platform.
Invalid Registry Scan: Improve the response time of your system by cleaning and fixing all the invalid or corrupted registry entries present on your system.
Web Protection: Block the suspicious websites on all major browsers for much improved and safer web surfing experience.
Start-up Manager: Speed up your Windows boot time and fix the slow system start-up problems by clearing out all the junk items present on your Start-up menu.
What’s more? It also helps users find & repair common PC issues like crashes, no audio or sound and shuttering problems, bugs, compatibility & connectivity issues, poor gaming performance, and much more. To download this excellent free driver updater, click the button below!
- Extensive database of more than 200,000 drivers
- Supports WHQL certified drivers from hundreds of top brands
- Fast, automatic, & accurate scanning process
- Installs latest manufacturer-recommended drivers faster than ever
- PC optimization features like Invalid Registry Scanner, Web Protection, & Start-up Manager
- Easy to get assistance with its 24/7 customer support
- Similar to Bit & ITL Driver Updater, it doesn’t support Windows XP and Vista editions.
4. Ashampoo Driver Updater
Tired of frequent system crashes, BSOD errors (blue screen of death), or unexpected shutdowns? Looking for an easy way to update drivers on Windows 10 PC? If yes, Ashampoo Driver Updater is what you need. It is a well-designed driver update utility that provides your PC the much-needed boost by fixing and removing all the outdated or faulty drivers.
It offers more than 400,000+ official drivers to help you fix hardware problems causing trouble to the functioning of your computer.
It is another best driver updater software for both professional & novice users seeking to scan and update device drivers effortlessly.
- Quick and easy-to-use & setup.
- One-click driver updates to fix hardware problems and improve system performance.
- Easily fix & update your graphics drivers for enhanced gaming performance.
- Save your time and struggle to search for drivers manually on manufacturers’ websites. This powerful free driver software does it automatically for you.
- Supports all the latest Microsoft Windows version.
- Easy-to-use & setup
- Supports over 150,000 devices
- Maximizes system performance
- Creates backup of all available drivers
- Multilingual support
- Need to pay extra money to get their premium support
- Free trial version is not much efficient
- Does not support Windows 8.1, Vista, & XP
5. Device Doctor
Device Doctor is a completely free driver updater that automatically checks your computer to identify which device drivers are not working and causing trouble to the proper functioning of your machine.
The best thing that makes Device Doctor one of the best free driver update software is that it can also find the correct drivers for “unidentified devices” in the Device Manager.
- Simple, fast & easy-to-use tool.
- Choose the latest drivers from its vast database of more than 13 million official drivers.
- Automatic driver installation.
- Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7 (64-bit or 32-bit), 8, 8.1, and 10.
- Up-to-date device driver database
- Relatively lightweight application
- User-friendly interface
- Supports all Windows OS (both 64-bit or 32-bit)
- Sometimes fails to detect important driver updates
- Provides recommendations for already installed drivers
- Takes longer than usual to download drivers
6. Driver Easy
Don’t know how to update drivers for Windows 10? But, want to keep your computer’s hardware functioning at its best? To make it possible, all you need to do is get the best free driver updater for Windows 10 PC. And Driver Easy is indeed a good choice.
With Driver Easy, you can fix all your potential hardware conflicts and update faulty drivers in just a few taps of your fingers. Driver Easy brings all the latest features and functionalities to fix common driver-related errors, making it the ‘most efficient Windows driver update tool’ of all time.
- Smooth and efficient multi-layered software.
- One-click fix feature to ensure your system runs at its peak performance.
- Auto backup & restore feature help you roll back to the older version of drivers.
- More than 8 million fully-tested, certified drivers.
- Supports Microsoft Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
- Smooth and efficient driver software
- Offline scan feature
- Auto-backup & restore options
- Updates out-of-date & mismatched drivers in just 1 click
- Slightly expensive product
- Free trial version offers only basic functionalities
7. Driver Genius
Developed by Driver-Soft, Driver Genius currently ranks among the best driver update software in the world right now.
Driver Genius’ interface is very easy to navigate and packed with numerous powerful features for better performance and stability of your system. Updating drivers has never been this easier; simply scan your PC for outdated drivers and choose the best, certified driver versions in a matter of seconds.
- Over 1 million drivers to ensure your system drivers are always up to date.
- One-click driver updates for smooth hardware functioning.
- Cleaning and PC optimization feature to improve the overall performance of your system.
- Backup and restore device drivers for safety.
- Supports all Windows 7/8/10 (32bit & 64bit).
- Supports 160,000+ device drivers
- System booster & clean-up options
- Ensures smooth hardware functioning
- Hardware temperature monitoring
- Supports all popular Windows editions
- Occasionally shows false driver updates
- You have to spend few extra bucks if you want to receive latest upgrades of their product
- Driver download server takes time to download driver updates.
8. Driver Booster
Is your computer suffering from slow Wi-Fi connection problems? Tired of the poor sound quality or excess heating problems while playing your favorite game? Driver Booster is the one-stop solution for all your concerns; from faster scanning speed and large driver database to advanced driver update technology, it has everything you need to fix common Windows errors effortlessly.
Similar to other best driver updaters, Driver Booster offers a wide range of useful tools to help you download and install the latest driver updates in real-time.
- Simple & safe driver software to improve overall PC performance.
- Accelerated scanning speed to help you get the correct drivers within a few seconds.
- Offers more than 3,000,000+ drivers to make sure your system drivers are always up-to-date.
- Identifies and updated outdated device drivers in real-time.
- Fixes common driver-related errors like BSOD (blue screen of death) or system performance issues, crashes, stuttering problems, and more.
- Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
- Large device driver database
- Accelerated scanning & driver download speed
- Fixes common PC problems
- Terminates background processes for uninterrupted gaming experience
- Free edition doesn’t detects all outdated drivers
- Often recommends other products from IObit which sometimes gets really annoying and ruins the experience.
9. AVG Driver Updater
When it comes to searching and fixing outdated or broken drivers, AVG driver updater software is a pretty solid option for both professional and novice users alike. However, this is not a completely free driver updater software. It comes with both free and pro versions. The free trial version auto-scans your computer and attached devices for missing, outdated or broken drivers. While the paid version lets you update them instantly to avoid any performance or hardware-related problems.
- Automatic scanning feature to identify faulty drivers.
- Updates all missing, outdated or corrupt drivers in just a single click.
- Fixes system crashing and freezing problems, sound and connectivity issues, and more.
- Boosts streaming, downloading and browsing speed.
- Over 127,000 official drivers from hundreds of top brands.
- Backs up your device drivers to help you restore older versions.
- Highly compatible with all the recent Windows versions.
- Reduces hardware issues like crashing & freezing
- Up-to-date online device driver database
- Backs up your drivers to restore unwanted changes
- Auto-scans your computer for missing or out-of-date drivers
- A bit expensive product compared to other similar driver updaters
- No additional PC optimization features
- Paid version offers license key for only one PC
DRIVERfighter is a simple tool but still has managed to make its way into the list of best driver updater software for Windows. It flawlessly scans and detects faulty hardware drivers using its fast and accurate driver detection technology.
The program is available in both free and paid versions. The free version only allows users to recover free space and detect out-of-date drivers. So, if you want to update them, you need to purchase its pro edition.
- Fast and accurate driver detections.
- Scans your entire computer for missing and outdated drivers.
- Single-click automatic driver updates.
- Improves your PC’s health and performance by fixing the driver-related problems.
- It contains a large database of 85,000 device drivers from thousands of hardware manufacturers.
- Easy-to-use software with simple interface
- Supports more than 15 languages
- One-click driver update functionality
- Fails to identify a number of corrupt or out-of-date drivers
- Relatively slow driver download speed
- No option to perform scheduled scans
Few More Bonus Options:
11. Auslogics Driver Updater
This tool from Auslogics occupies a prominent position in the list of the best free driver update software available in the market today. It brings all the powerful tools and latest features in one place to help you fix problems with your speakers, cameras, printer, and other external devices. If you’re looking for a powerful yet easy-to-use software, then Auslogics’ PC driver updater tool is the best solution for your Windows machine.
- Fast, Intuitive, and easy-to-use tool.
- Downloads and installs the latest official driver versions.
- Prevents driver errors and compatibility issues.
- Updates all the outdated drivers in one-click.
- Improves system stability & performance for better user experience.
- Compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, 7.
12. Avast Driver Updater
Avast driver updater is the best solution for keeping all your hardware devices perform in an optimal condition. If you choose to install this software, then it will ensure that your Windows 10 PC encounters fewer crashes and driver-related issues.
This is definitely one of the best free driver updater for Windows 10, enabled with real-time automatic scan provision to detect outdated or missing drivers and also checks for the latest available driver updates just in the blink of an eye. However, you will need to purchase its pro edition to update out-of-date drivers found in the scanning process.
- It offers compatibility across a huge number of brands.
- Creates backup of all individuals device drivers for easy restoration.
- It is capable of preventing hardware problems with the scaled installation process.
- Boosts your PC’s performance and maintains graphics and audio drivers updated to enhance the gaming experience.
13. Driver Talent
Driver Talent, formerly known as DriveTheLife, is another best driver update software that comes with a plethora of powerful features to help you fix all driver-related issues within a few minutes. Additionally, it comes with an in-built driver database which helps users install the best-matched, official system drivers without the need of any internet connection.
This driver software has a fairly intuitive, clutter-free interface which is available in more than 15 languages including German, Russian, Japanese, Spanish, Arabic, and French.
- Safe and easy-to-use driver update utility for Windows.
- Quickly scans out-of-date or incompatible drivers.
- Downloads and installs the latest official device drivers.
- It offers a one-click fix to all common PC issues.
- Pre-download or save device drivers for another computer.
- 100% compatible with all available Windows OS.
14. DriverPack Solution
Similar to other free driver updater software, DriverPack holds strong capabilities to find and repair common driver problems in the shortest possible time frame. This Windows driver download software claims to offer the largest driver database and helped over 40 million unique users worldwide with its accurate detection and latest driver installations.
It allows users to easily download and install drivers for every kind of hardware devices including Bluetooth, Network card, Wi-Fi device, TV-tuner, Modem, Printer, and more in just a few moments.
- Fast and accurate scanning results.
- It offers a vast database of unique system drivers.
- Installs drivers from all popular manufacturers and brands.
- Compatible with all popular Windows operating systems.
15. Wise Driver Care
It is another best free driver updater for windows 10 that aims to reduce frequent system crashes, bugs and connectivity issues by providing you with the latest driver updates. Wise Driver Care uses an advanced self-learning technology to make sure that only the best and most compatible device drivers are installed. However, you need to upgrade to its premium version in order to install those latest updates.
Being one of the best driver software solutions in the market, Wise Driver Care incorporates a wide range of powerful features like scheduled scans, automatic driver installation, device driver backups, and much more to ensure the proper functioning of all hardware and external devices that are connected to your system.
- Reduces system crashes and driver-related errors.
- Automatic scanning and full driver backup & recovery options.
- Latest driver updates for over 600,000 devices.
- Compatible with Windows Vista/7/8/10 (both 32-bit and 64-bit).
DriverMax is one of the best free PC driver updater that aims to unlock your system’s full potential by fixing and updating all the outdated or corrupt drivers causing problems to your computer.
However, it is to be noted that it’s not a completely free driver updater software as it comes with both free and paid versions. While the free version scans and generates the list of all corrupted or outdated drivers, the pro version automatically updates them to the latest manufacturer-recommended versions without the need for manual interruption.
- Supports more than 2,300,000 devices to ensure your devices have up-to-date drivers, always.
- Automatically downloads and installs the latest driver updates.
- Backs up and restores your device drivers for safety.
- Schedule scans to help you run automatic scans at a time that is convenient for you.
- Official drivers for all your hardware and attached devices.
- Fully compatible with all the latest Windows versions.
DriverAgent is another best free driver update software that keeps a track of all installed drivers and lets you identify and update the ones which are missing from your system.
Once you install the application, it starts analyzing your computer and generates a detailed report of all out-of-date and missing drivers which need immediate action. However, you will need to purchase a license key if you want to update them to the most recent versions.
- Fast and user-friendly driver managementutility.
- Extremely lightweight application.
- Displays the list of all out-of-date drivers.
- Backup & Restore options.
- Supports all Windows editions.
18. Driver Magician
Looking to update drivers of Windows 10? Well, your quest ends here! Driver Magician is one of the best free driver updater for Windows 10.
Unlike other best driver updaters, this tool allows users to clone all available device drivers to an auto-setup package (.exe) – so you can restore them even without installing its application.
What’s more? Driver Magician comes with a built-in live hardware identifier database that can help you detect all unknown devices in your computer.
- Automatically finds and installs the latest driver updates.
- Improves overall PC performance and stability.
- Backs up all device drivers and lets you restore them in a single-click.
- Identifies unknown devices in your system.
- It comes with a driver uninstall option.
If you are trying to find out the best driver updater software for your PC, then you can definitely install the Driver Finder tool as it will efficiently find the most precise drivers to keep your computer updated.
The driver database of this tool is massive as it is sourced from various device manufacturers from all corners of the world continuously.
It supports various types of device drivers including audio drivers, camera drivers, graphic drivers, printer drivers, network drivers, and keyboard, mouse, USB drivers, etc.
- It can quickly locate and install drivers on your system.
- The application is self-updating to ensure that customers can avail its latest features instantaneously.
- You can backup specific drivers with this tool and restore them when needed.
- They offer round the clock customer support services.
20. Snappy Driver Installer
Lost the driver installation disk? Can’t locate the appropriate device driver on the manufacturer’s support website?Well, worry no more! With Snappy Driver Installer, you don’t need to search the web for official driver download links.
Snappy Driver Installer is a completely free driver updater software that helps you keep your computer in the best possible state by updating the faulty and older driver versions.
- Finds & installs the latest driver updates easily even without the network connection.
- It creates a restore point before installing system drivers.
- It allows you to use the program directly from the portable devices.
- Supports all versions of Windows.
- Multilingual support.
21. Driver Identifier
Driver Identifier is a simple but effective solution for those who want to keep their system drivers up-to-date always. It will not only help you identify out-of-date or damaged drivers but also lets you install all of them at once in just a few minutes.
It might come last in the list of best driver updaters, but it is definitely worth a try.
- Easy to use driver software with foolproof and modern interface.
- Finds and installs the right driver version instantly.
- Extensive driver database.
- Supports all modern Windows OS (Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions).
Bottom Line: Best Driver Update Software
That’s all folks! This concludes our guide that will give you a clear insight on how to shortlist the best software for your Windows machine to update drivers.
As per the comparative analysis report, ITL Driver Updater is the best free driver updater program that outranks all other tools by its admirable combination of latest official driver updates, fast speed, and top-notch performance.
The best thing that makes ITL Driver Updater stand out from the crowd is that it provides WHQL certified driver updates for free, plus contains the largest driver database among other similar tools in the category.
All of these aforementioned driver software offers a wide range of powerful features and useful PC optimization tools to improve the performance and the stability of your system.
So, now that you are aware of the benefits a driver updater brings, it’s time to start using it! Do you think we missed any highly-rated software? If yes, please let us know your thoughts and picks on the subject in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- What is the Best Free Driver Updater?
I would definitely go with Bit Driver Updater. Several users who have reported performance and driver-related problems, claimed success by using Bit Driver Updater. The tool not only effortlessly finds all out-of-date or corrupt hardware drivers but allows users to update them to the latest, compatible ones for free in just a single click.
- How to Choose The Best Driver Update Software?
While choosing a driver update software, it is extremely important that you pay close attention to the set of features that it claims to provide. Make sure you choose a certified and a trusted product that offers powerful features like automatic scanning, extensive driver database, one-click genuine drivers, back & restore options, and more.
Before shortlisting the perfect one, it is also suggested to consider a few other factors as well such as ease-of-use, customer support, and user reviews.
- Is It Safe to Use a Driver Updater?
Yes, driver update software is a safe option when it comes to optimizing your computer for peak performance and fixing driver-related problems. However, it is always recommended that you download and install such programs or apps only from their official website.
- How to Know If Drivers are Up to Date?
You can either use Device Manager to manually identify if your system drivers are up-to-date or can get an automatic ‘driver update utility’ to detect and install the right ones automatically on your PC.
- Can I Update the Drivers Myself?
Yes, you can manually download and update the device drivers one-by-one, though this is a time-consuming task, plus there’s a risk of installing the wrong or malware-infected drivers.
Therefore, experts always recommend going for an automatic driver updater tool that not only downloads & installs all the latest and official drivers at once but also helps you improve overall performance and stability of your system.
- How to Verify a Driver's Version?
You can either use Device Manager to manually check the version of the drivers that are currently installed or can simply choose to install any best driver update software from the aforementioned list.
- How Can I Resolve Driver Related Concerns?
The easiest solution is a dedicated driver update program that offers a wide array of optimization and driver-management tools to help you fix common PC issues like crashes, no audio and network-connectivity issues, printer problems, BSOD errors, poor game performance, and much more.