Is a sluggish system slowing you down in this fast-paced world? Have you considered using the best disk defragmenter software to improve your PC’s performance? Well, it might resolve all the issues you might be having with your system lately.
Want to know how? Then, go through this article to familiarize yourself with the techniques of defragmentation along with the functions of defrag tools that can assist in this process.
Did you know that the hard disk of your system is way slower than the RAM and CPU? It plays a crucial role in maintaining the performance of a computer. Let us understand all about it in detail.
What is Disk Fragmentation?
Disk fragmentation is a natural and recurrent occurrence in computers, which leads to the scattering of data into smaller bits over large disk space. This occurrence causes the hard drive to work harder and slower for reading a single file. It leads to the following problems as well:
- It causes system crash downs.
- Slows down a system.
- Boot up failures, hard drive failures, file corruption, data loss.
- Puts data security at stake.
- Backups don’t happen precisely due to increased time to back up data.
- Lengthens virus scan duration.
- Accelerates hard drive wear and tear.
- Wastes system energy.
What is Disk Defragmentation?
So, how could you possibly deal with the problem of disk fragmentation? The straightforward solution to this would be to defragment the disk?
But how? Well, this could be achieved either with the help of an in-built disk defragmenter or by using third-party defragmenter apps.
In order to ensure that the bits and pieces of data that have scattered away are rearranged back in sequential order. This would help in reducing the head travel, which will further lead to the reduction in time for reading from and writing files to the disk. It would also clear up the unused disk space.
A disk defrag tool also benefits in the following ways:
- Speeds up the system along with hastening its boot-up process.
- Rapidly loads files.
- Boosts up system performance.
We have selected 11 best disk defragmenter software for you and vividly described each of them to help you understand them better.
List of Top Disk Defragmenter Software For Windows:
Now that you have understood the importance of the disk defragmentation process, let us look at some of the best defrag programs available in the present day.
1. Glarysoft Disk Speedup
This tool is among one of the best disk defragmenter tools as it is a solid disk defragmenter enabled with advanced functions.
Users can quickly download and easily operate this software, whether they are experts or novices. The program takes up a very less amount of space (1.24KB) in your PC.
Read More: Best Disk Cloning Software For Windows
- It has an appealing interface with an interactive drive map.
- Customized presets available.
- The tool can automatically scan the disk in the blink of an eye.
- It also supports scheduled scans.
- Advanced settings facilitate intelligent disk defragment without damaging the hard drive.
- The optimization tool is a little slow.
- Lacks a duplicate file finder tool.
2. Smart Defrag
When it comes to choosing an efficient defragmenter software for your system, then you can go for this tool as it can remove junk files and clear cache files of the Windows to speed-up the defrag process. This tool is by IObit.
- The tool can run scheduled scans.
- Defrags the PC during boot up.
- The Configuring Boot Time Defrag feature can expedite the system startup process.
- You can defrag a game too with the help of the Game Optimize feature.
- Can’t defrag the system when it is idle.
- Some features unlock only in the premium version.
If you are looking for an all-round disk defragmenter software, then you might find a solution to your PC’s disk-related problems in this product by CCleaner. This tool facilitates moving some fragmented files to the very end of the drive that is infrequently used.
Want to know what else it can do for you? Then, take a look at the below points.
- Runs automatic scans.
- Capable of defragging the HDD during system boot-up.
- Can selectively defrag files.
- It doesn’t defrag when the system is idle.
- Handling the advanced options might be a bit cumbersome for amateurs.
4. Auslogics Disk Defrag
Are you aware of a smarter way to speed-up your computer? Simply get your hands on a brilliant disk speedup software and let it boost up your PC’s performance.
Auslogics Disk Defrag software is highly acclaimed by industry experts and recognized by leading IT magazines as the best disk defragmenter software. Let us look at the details of its excellent features below.
- With the ultra-fast defragmentation engine, it can scan and fix the fragmented portions of the disk swiftly.
- Consolidates free space.
- Enabled with special Algorithms for SSD (premium version feature).
- Doesn’t defragment the disk during system boot-up.
- Attempts to install unwanted software during the set-up process.
An ideal defragmenter for Windows 10 systems, this powerful tool can do wonders for your computer. Learn about its stupendous features from the below-mentioned points.
- Enjoy a smooth-running PC and games with this tool’s efficient defragging and easy configuration technique.
- This defragmenter program can defragment locked files in a special mode while the computer is starting up.
- The free version is outdated.
- Running a scheduled scan is difficult.
Would you want to experience a lightning-fast Windows PC? Then, we would recommend you to try this free defrag software. This is because it not only defrags your system but also optimizes your file systems by placing the frequently used file on the fastest part of the hard drive.
- Can perform a registry scan and full PC scan with the in-built scanner.
- Archives rarely used files.
- On SSD, it provides a slow read performance on NTFS compressed files.
7. O&O Defrag
If you want to know about more products that fall in the category of best defragmenter programs, then the O&O Defrag tool is worth mentioning in this blog, as it offers automatic defrag feature even in the 30-day trial version of the application.
- It can defrag your system every time your computer is sitting idle.
- Provides highly detailed hard drive reports.
- It doesn’t defrag during system boot-up.
- No provision to exclude specific files from the defragmentation process.
Now defrag files with this best disk defragmenter software. A recipient of several awards, this freeware is suitable for personal as well as commercial use.
What’s really appreciable about this tool is that you can simply extract it on your computer without creating directories or Registry entries and start using it right away.
- This tool is available in English, Italian, Spanish, Russian, and German.
- This defrag tool allows you to selectively defrag files in your computer.
- Lacks a scheduler.
9. Puran Defrag
This best disk defragmenter program for Windows 10 can defrag files and folders from the Windows Explorer program menu with the help of the right-click action.
- Can check HDD for problems.
- Supports scheduled defrags, apart from defragging a computer when it is idle or in the boot-up state.
- Lacks a portable version.
- It doesn’t manually run free space defrags.
10. Wise Care 365
Use this disk speedup tool by WiseCleaner to protect your system in real-time. It cleans up the hard drive space, detects junk files and troubleshoots privacy issues.
- You can avail of the portable version of this software.
- Defrags as well as optimizes the drive.
- This tool cannot run scheduled scans.
- The tool cannot defrag locked files.
Did you know that MyDefrag is another best disk defragmenter software? This tool, which was formerly known as JkDefrag suits the needs of regular PC users as well as advanced users who can build their own scripts.
The tool functions by loading and running scripts on the drives. Though it hasn’t been updated for a considerable duration, yet it is compatible with Windows 8 and 10.
- Capable of defragging removable drives along with internal drives.
- The application features were last updated in 2010.
Windows Built-in Disk Defragmenter Tool
Did you also know that Microsoft Windows 10 & 8 computers come with its own in-built disk defragmenter tool? So far, we have come across some extremely beneficial third-party defrag tools; however, the in-built program of Windows is immensely capable of repairing your computer’s disk due to disk fragmentation. It now goes by the name of Microsoft Drive Optimizer.
This tool is capable of analyzing and defragmenting the disks and drives manually. It can also run defrag schedules for your system.
However, it can’t defrag locked files which is a major drawback of this application. If you still want to give it a try, follow the below path to utilize this in-built feature of Windows 10 & 8 computers:
Start Menu > Search for Disk Defragmenter > Click on Analyze disk > Click Defragment disk
Nowadays, modern computer models are capable of performing the disk defragmentation process on their own. Therefore, a lot of disk fragmentation is taken care of automatically. However, coupling the built-in defrag tool with one of the best disk defragmenter software mentioned in this article can provide added benefits to your PC.
Hopefully, you were able to spot the ideal disk defragmenter app for your daily needs. Some tools can not only boost up the performance of your system but can also optimize games to provide an ultimate gaming experience.