USB devices such as flash drives, pen drives, or SD cards are frequently used for the purpose of easy and quick data transfer. But they are quite prone to errors like the unknown USB device. So, if you are facing the “device descriptor request failed error”, then you can cheer up because this is a fixable error that can be resolved with the help of some workarounds.
We have prepared a blog to describe these methods in detail, apart from informing you about what causes the unknown USB device error.
Quick & Easy Way to Fix Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
Before starting, we would like to suggest the best method to resolve the unknown USB device error. Several users who have encountered this issue were able to fix it by updating their USB drivers with the help of Bit Driver Updater.
To update out-of-date USB drivers for free, click the link below!
What is a Device Descriptor?
The USB_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR forms the main base of the descriptor tree. It holds primary device information. There are specific numbers such as the idVendor and idProduct which are responsible for identifying the connected devices in a system.
idVendor – Every company that produces USB devices is assigned this number which is basically a Vendor ID.
idProduct – This particular number is assigned by the manufacturer to a specific product for the purpose of identifying it. It is a 16-bit field containing the number.
What Causes Unknown USB Device Error (Device Descriptor Request Failed)?
After gaining some familiarity with the device descriptor, let us now see what causes the unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed) error.
- The USB device could be faulty or corrupted.
- The BIOS (basic input/output system) system is not updated.
- If the USB device is infected with a virus or some form of malware, then it may cause this error.
- Another cause is when the USB device is unable to communicate with the system.
- If the USB device driver is not found by the Windows, then also it could lead to this error.
How to Fix Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)?
If you want to know how to fix the device descriptor request failed error, then read ahead to find the hacks and various troubleshooting methods in detail.
Before we explain the advanced methods, let’s take a look at some quick hacks that can resolve the unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed) easily.
1. Quick Hacks to Try
You can try these hacks and tips to resolve some temporary glitch or issue easily:
- Reboot your computer and then reconnect the USB device to see if it is now functioning normally.
- Change and connect the USB device to another USB port of the system.
- Remove the power supply of the system and then connect it again.
- Check if the USB device is functioning in another system, then it would indicate if its a device issue or system driver issue.
If these hacks could not fix the problem and you are still wondering how to fix the unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed), then move onto the next methods.
2. Reinstall the USB Device Driver
If you are fed up with the problem of device descriptor request failed, then uninstall and reinstall the USB device driver from the Windows Device Manager to rectify the issue.
- Type Device Manager in the Windows search box and click on it to launch the Device Manager.
- Scroll down to find the Universal Serial Bus controllers component and expand the section to find the USB device driver.
- You will notice a yellow exclamation indicator mark on the Unknown USB Device driver.
- Using the right-click action on the Unknown USB Device name, open the context menu to select the “Uninstall device” option.
- Wait for the uninstallation to complete and then unplug the USB device.
- After this, reconnect the USB device into the system.
- Finally, go to the Action option in the Device Manager window to select “Scan for hardware changes” and let Windows download the USB device
- drivers on the system again.
- Alternatively, you can also go to the manufacturer’s website to install the USB drivers.
3. Update the USB Device Driver With Bit Driver Updater Tool
If reinstalling the USB device did not resolve the device descriptor request failed error, then another way to fix it is by updating the USB drivers. You can do so automatically with the Bit Driver Updater tool. This is an excellent free driver updater tool that can update all your system drivers from time to time besides backing up the drivers.
Steps to Update the Unknown USB Device With Bit Driver Updater:
Step 1: Install the Bit Driver Updater tool from its website.
Step 2: Run a quick scan with it to detect defective, missing, or outdated drivers.
Step 3: Click the “Update” option beside the name of the USB driver (from the list of the drivers which need to be updated, appearing after the scan).
Step 4: The tool will now download the official version of the USB driver and install them on the system.
Step 5: Restart your system after this.
Device Descriptor Request Failed Fixed
Thus, whenever you see an error message like the “USB DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE” or “USB device malfunctioned,” then you can now fix the device descriptor request failed error with the help of the aforementioned methods and hacks.