Have you encountered an Unknown Device error and wondered how to deal with it? Certainly, it can be fixed by downloading drivers for unknown devices? It is agreeable that the Unknown Device issue is due to a malfunctioning device which is why you need to obtain an updated driver for the faulty device.
The most common approach to resolving functional issues of computers is by getting the right device drivers for your system.
In this article, we will first understand the root cause of the error, followed by learning how to identify which device has gone down and finally take a look at how to download drivers for unknown devices.
How to Identify Which Device is Not Functioning?
For this, you need to head to the Control Panel of your system and then to the Device Manager. The Device Manager hosts and displays all the devices installed in a system.
An Unknown Device will be listed in the Device Manager and indicated with a yellow exclamation mark. You can look at the Properties of this unknown device to figure out the hardware ID and consequently identify the device.
Causes of Unknown Devices in Device Manager
- Upgrading the PC to Windows 10.
- Outdated or corrupted drivers can be another cause.
- When the device driver is not available as in the case of USB devices.
- Faulty hardware or firmware.
- Unrecognized device ID.
Update Device Drivers to Fix Unknown Device Error:
The Unknown Devices issue can be resolved by installing the correct version of the device drivers. This can be done by either updating the drivers manually or updating them automatically.
1. Updating Drivers Manually
If you got the right expertise, patience, and time, then you can install the correct version of the drivers manually from the manufacturer’s website. However, one challenge here is that you need to first figure out which device is malfunctioning.
If you are not already aware of this, then let me inform you that every device has a hardware ID assigned to it. Once you know what the hardware ID is, you can easily recognize the unknown device and then grab the right version of the driver.
To identify the device driver effortlessly, you can use the following steps:
- You can go to the Device Manager and right-click on the Unknown Device to select the ‘Properties’ option.
- Once the ‘Unknown device Properties’ window opens, go to the ‘Details’ tab and click on the dropdown menu of the Property.
- In the value field, you can see a list of values which is nonetheless the hardware IDs.
- You can copy the top-most value by using the right-click action of the mouse.
- Post this, you can paste the device hardware ID on the search engine that will show the device to which it belongs.
- After device identification, you can visit the manufacturer’s website and download the updated driver version of the device.
- You can then follow the subsequent steps to install it on your system and get rid of the Unknown Device error.
Read Also: How To Update Device Drivers on Windows 10
2. Updating Drivers via Device Manager
If you don’t want to go through all the cumbersome manual steps, then don’t worry as the ‘Update Driver’ function can come to your rescue and save you from all the hassles. Want to know how? Well, take a look at the subsequent steps to understand it entirely.
- In the Device Manager, you need to first right-click on the Unknown Device and choose the ‘Update Driver Software’ option.
- Then, you need to choose the former option in the following prompt to let the Windows search online for the updated driver automatically and install it on your system.
3. Updating Drivers Automatically with Bit Driver Updater
Don’t you agree that an all-round driver updater software can put an end to all your device drivers related issues at once? They are not only capable of downloading drivers for unknown devices but can also look after the overall condition of all the system drivers. Thereby, they are the most ideal tools for improving your system performance.
Bit Driver Updater tool is undoubtedly the best driver updating software that we recommend, as this tool can automatically scan your system and detect the outdated drivers swiftly.
Users can avail of a trial version before deciding to procure the pro version of the tool. The software can be obtained in three quick steps easily.
Besides, scanning your system for missing or corrupted drivers in real-time, it can also find the latest version of the driver software online and install it on your system to replace the outdated ones.
What makes this tool user-friendly is its ability to scan the Windows PC for outdated drivers and update them to the latest ones in just one simple click. Additionally, you also get commendable round the clock technical assistance.
Last but not the least, Bit driver Updater can also backup your device drivers and help you to restore them when needed.
Note: Bit Driver Updater was chosen number 1 in the Comparative Analysis of Best Driver Updater Programs.
So, you now know that downloading drivers for Unknown Devices is a task that can be easily accomplished with a potent driver updater software. Keeping drivers up-to-date ensures that you can experience a smooth functioning system without encountering glitches and errors.
The advantage of using automated tools over manual methods is that it saves your time immensely. Also, those who lack technical skills can easily resort to using a smart tool without messing up with the drivers manually.